Ben Ennis Butler
PhD candidate at the University of Canberra
Area of research: creating visual information seeking interfaces for large digital cultural heritage collections.
Interested in data visualisation, visual communication, media, politics, urban planning, Scandinavian design, gardening & sustainability.
I’m a PhD candidate in the Faculty of Arts and Design at the University of Canberra. My research is in the area of data visualisation of large data sets in cultural institutions. I received First Class Honours in 2010 for my project, Visualising the visual: Australian prints in the National Gallery of Australia.
View my research experience here.
What I do (on the side)
Website design and development:
- Very experienced in coding HTML
- Use of content management systems, including WordPress and Symphony CMS
- Social media management
First Class Honours in Creative Communication (Honours) from University of Canberra 2010.
Bachelor of Media Arts and Production from the University of Canberra 2009.
I have taught at the University of Canberra since 2010 in a wide range of roles.
- Information Graphics (2015) – convenor, lecturer and tutor
- Networked Media Production (2015) – tutor
- Web Design and Production (2015) – online tutor
- Publication Design (2014) – tutor of the responsive web project
- Web Design and Production (2014) – convenor and tutor
- Information Graphics (2014) – convenor, lecturer and tutor
- Networked Media Production (2013) – convenor, lecturer and tutor
- Information Graphics (2012) – convenor, lecturer and tutor
- Web Design & Production (2012) – convenor and tutor
- Motion Graphics (2012) – convenor, lecturer and tutor
- Information Graphics (2011) – tutor
- Web Design & Production (2011) – convenor and tutor
- Web Design & Production (2010) – tutor
- Networked Media Production (2010) – tutor
A bit about me
I like design, both online and in the real world, and designing (mostly online). I am a big fan of Arne Jacobsen and Hans Wegner, and love travelling. I’m interested in all forms of media, from traditional print to radio, broadcast and exciting new media stuff.
I lived in Denmark for 6 months in 2006, where I learnt a new language, experienced a different culture and had a great time, my experience there continues to influence my design work.